The Paris Opera Competition is an Association created by the desire of a passionate opera lover, Pierre Vernes.
The awareness of the difficulties that young singers face at the beginning of their career motivated him to create ideal conditions for them to perform on opera stages. The focus of his initiative is the organization, every 2 years, of an International Competition in Paris, uniting a jury of competent and committed professionnals.
Several prizes are awarded including some special prizes which may also be awarded by Sponsors or other institutions. To accommodate the financial difficulties of the selected young singers, the association engages in paying the travel and accommodation expenses.
Another original initiative has been created “the concert-competition” with full orchestra or piano accompaniment to be held, in France or abroad, the goal being supporting and presenting the new generation of French and international lyric artists. The promotion of French culture and the programming of French arias from the 19th century opera is the choice of Paris Opera Competition policy.
In addition, concerts will be organized in France or abroad in collaboration with the most important establishments for the promotion of Paris Opera Competition laureates. All the activities took place in the most prominent theatres and operas where music has been performed throughout the centuries : Theatre des Champs-Elysées, Salle Gaveau, or Theatre Imperial de Compiègne.
- To discover new talents
- To support and guide the career with concerts, recitals and “concert competition”.
- To promote the French Opera repertoire of the 19th century.
- An International Opera competition: Paris International Opera Competition, from October 15th to 17th, 2010. The Semi Finals were held at the Conservatoire National d’Art Dramatique and the Finals at the Théâtre des Champs Elysées with the Orchestre Pasdeloup conducted by Philippe Hui.
- A concert at Théâtre Impérial de Compiègne “Gala des plus belles voix” on September 25th, 2011 with five finalists of the competition.
- A “Concert-Competition” at Salle Gaveau on January 13th, 2012 with the Orchestra Lamoureux conducted by Philippe Hui.
- A partnership with the Young Artists Program of the Theatre of the Bolshoï was created in 2013 :
Franco-Russian concert at the Théâtre Impérial de Compiègne on October 5th, 2013 followed by a second concert at the Theatre of the Bolshoï on October 25th, 2013.
- This partnership was renewed in 2014 with the participation of Opéra Grand Avignon :
Franco-Russian concert at the Opéra Grand Avignon on March 25th, 2014 followed by a second concert at the Theatre of the Bolshoï on December 5th, 2014.
- The third edition of Paris Opera Competition with an international recruitment on January 24th, 2014 at Salle Gaveau with the Orchestra Pasdeloup directed by Philippe Hui.
- A concert at the Opéra de Limoges on May 11th, 2014.
- A "Concert-Competition" , Les Mozart de l'Opéra, at the Théâtre des Champs Elysées, on January 23rd, 2015 with the Orchestra Prométhée, directed by Pierre-Michel Durand.
- A "Concert-Competition" , Les Mozart de l'Opéra, at the Théâtre des Champs Elysées, on January 20th, 2017 with the Orchestra Prométhée, directed by Pierre-Michel Durand.